Like always, I was writing an article for this websites and suddenly my laptop running Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit Creators Build crashed suddenly and I need to press the power button to turn on my laptop to continue my work. But after turning on the laptop I saw something was eating my bandwidth (high speed) like anything. And within 5 minutes it just ate my 500MB.
After a quick look with a network bandwidth tool, I found this DoSVC ate my bandwidth and its keep on eating it even while I was checking!
So what is this dosvc ?
This is the info given by Microsoft
“Windows Update Delivery Optimization lets you get Windows updates and Windows Store apps from sources in addition to Microsoft. This can help you get updates and apps more quickly if you have a limited or unreliable Internet connection. And if you own more than one PC, it can reduce the amount of Internet bandwidth needed to keep all of your PCs up-to-date. Delivery Optimization also sends updates and apps from your PC to other PCs on your local network or PCs on the Internet.”
Stop or disable dosvc (delivery optimization service ) A Working Fix
Step 1 : Open the Task Manager ( Alt + Ctrl + Delete )
Step 2 : Now click on the services tab like shown below
Note : Don’t search in task manager services, you won’t find this one there!
Step 3 : Now select “Open Services”
Step 4 : It will open up another window. Now press “d” on the keyboard till you find “Delivery optimization “
Step 5 : Now right click on that and select “Properties”
Step 6 : From there change the “Startup Type” to “Manual”. Hit “Apply” and then “OK”
Step 7 : Again right click on “Delivery optimization” and select stop. Or you can do that from the left side bar as shown in the pic below.
So be on safer side, just do a restart and you are good to go.
What if you are using Insider/Anniversary version?
- You can try the above method and stop the bandwidth eater.
What if we need to update other computers or PC in same network ?
- Just download the offline updates and install the MSU files. Here is a full guide that covers this topic.
What port does this service use ?
- Its Port 7680
Can I use any other services or software to turn off this ?
- Yes, you can but make sure you are turning off the right service, else it will be a problem.
So how do you track bandwidth consumption in real time for free ?
- There is an inbuilt option but its not real time, you can use NetWorx 5.2.7 version as its free, for latest build you need to pay.
Some other things that you can do to save your precious high speed data
- Goto Windows store settings and turn off auto updates for apps.
- Goto WiFi settings and make sure your mark all your connections as metered connection. Do note DoSVC will run even if its metered connection but if you try the above fix it won’t run.