Laboratories are facilities that need to control conditions for experiments and researches. These designed laboratories are for specialists in the fields of engineering and science. Scientists and engineers use laboratories to design, create, and test their innovations. One of the laboratory equipment used for processing is laboratory mixers.
Today, there is a wide variety of laboratory mixers available in the market. These mixers are large scale and small scales. Both powered with electric motors and equipped with shafts that propel at a speed range.
Benefits on Using Laboratory Mixers
Laboratory mixers are for mixing, emulsifying, and dissolving materials. With the said function, the use of laboratory mixers will provide you a suitable end product. The equipment offers specific features that increase the production rate and product quality.
Both large scale and small scale laboratory mixers have similar principles. Its operation only varies upon its application. Aside from the consistency and stable emulsion, using laboratory mixers have several benefits:
Sanitation, Cleanliness, and Safety
Laboratories have strict compliance in sanitation and cleanliness. That is why laboratories need self-cleaning equipment. Laboratory mixers are air-driven to maintain cleanliness and safer environments. They guarantee safety to the operators from corrosive and dangerous elements. Moreover, the small diameter and vibrations made by the laboratory mixer help in self-cleaning.
The small diameter provides a better drop bottom and angle for the discharge opening. The materials will settle down on the sides ready for discharge. Furthermore, the vibrations will help the materials to settle down on the vessel. As mentioned, it is an air-driven mixer, it will wash out the materials inside.
Efficient and Flexible
You can determine the quality of a product with its microstructure. The microstructure is defined by the composition, mixing method and process. The laboratory mixers make use of its parts and components. It gives the manufacturers an efficient performance. These mixers are best for applications that need short-working time, long unloading period, homogeneity of products.
It enables manufacturers to be more productive. Laboratory mixers are flexible, you can produce different types of products with it. Its features can handle the production of emulsions, suspensions, and granular products. With this, laboratory mixers save cost and production time while maximizing your profit.
Applications of Laboratory Mixers
The use of laboratory mixers has several applications. It can handle solutions with higher viscosity up to 150,000 cps. Laboratory mixers are useful to these types of industry:
Chemicals are sensitive. Laboratory mixers have a protective feature that protects operators from the corrosive nature. Thus, they help the chemical industry by providing durable mixers. The manufacturers achieve the desired end product while making their workforce safe.
Construction Materials Industry
Laboratory mixers assist in creating samples. After which they will replicate samples for large scale production of construction materials. Thorough mixing of the ingredients results in a concentrate that makes durable cement. The mixture has to be in a homogeneous manner to create a permanent and concrete solution.
Food and Beverage Industry
Manufacturers that deal with food and beverage need laboratory mixers. They are contamination-free, which is ideal for food and beverage products. The parts and components of laboratory mixers are sealed and sanitized. Thus, contamination is not a concern for food and beverage industries that use laboratory mixers.
Cosmetic products need stable and high-quality emulsion. The efficiency of laboratory mixers provides stable emulsions. These stable emulsions are achieved as these mixers can create tiny droplets during the internal phase. As it continuously mixes, the smaller the particle and the more stable the emulsions are. Thus, it gives you the desired consistency and texture that will increase the consumer response.
How to Determine the Needed Laboratory Mixer
There are some factors that you need to consider to determine the right laboratory mixer. Moreover, expert engineers can recommend the best choice to meet the requirements.
- Product volume or batch quantity. It is best to know or have an approximate least and most amount for each batch.
- The dimension of the vessel. You need to discuss the desired geometry and proportion of the vessel.
- Properties of the ingredients or materials. The features of the materials can affect the performance or lifespan of the mixer. Some mixers are best for ingredients with corrosive properties.
- Final product. If it confuses you about which mixer to get, discuss to the experts the outcome you expect.
- Description of the manufacturing process
- The sequence of the addition of ingredients
Aside from these determinants, you need to analyze the specifications of the mixer. It is also a way to determine the performance of the equipment.
- Capacity: The capacity of the vessel is expressed in gallons (gal) or liters (L). You need to know the capacity of the equipment. It determines whether it can accommodate the volume of each batch.
- Introduction method: Laboratory mixers have two methods for introducing materials. It can be a continuous introduction or contrast.
- Speed: Laboratory mixers operate on a speed variation. Operators measure the speed in revolutions per minute (rpm).
- Temperature control: Laboratory mixers have a required operating temperature. It is measured in degrees Celsius or degrees Fahrenheit. These mixers have internal elements that can heat or cool the machine.
- Viscosity: The viscosity is due to the internal friction, and it expressed in the cycle per second (cps).
After you chose the laboratory mixer, take into consideration the warranties. Moreover, it is important to consider the customer support the manufacturer provides.
Laboratory mixers are equipment that creates homogeneous products from more than one ingredient. The proper mixture of ingredients is a vital factor to increase revenue. It has several benefits that help industries to achieve the desired application. Make sure to consider the vital factors to choose the right laboratory mixer.