Facebook have silently come up with a new android app called Facebook lite, for the mobiles having lesser resources like RAM and memory. So does this mean that you can’t get all the features that comes in the native one ? Lets see in the detailed review below.
Facebook lite review
- Like the name says the apk package is 252KB which is way too lower than that of 27MB of the native one that you can find in the playstore
- If you have used Facebook in feature phones like java then you may find its somewhat similar to snaptu
- After the successful installation it brings you login screen which looks more similar like mobile website version
- After you enter the details correctly it brings up your wall with all those photos and shares done by your friends etc. In order for new stories to show up or for refreshing all you have to do is pull down the screen. The infinite scrolling helps you to fetch old news.
- Tabbed section at the top helps you to browse various categories like notification, chat, friend request.
- In chats you may not be able to find your profile picture but stickers and smiles can be send with ease as shown below
- You can share your photos on your device directly by clicking on the default share icon as you can see below
Notification feature is also there which you can see in your device pull down bar from the top. You can also turn it off by navigating to device app settings and turning off by unmarking the tick mark. You can this on disk usage screenshot.
Currently it’s available only in limited number of countries like
- Sri Lanka
- South Africa
We tested it on our Xperia sp running jelly bean after running it for some time, you can find the resource usage below
- Version : 184.108.40.206.0
- Apk size : 252KB
- Requires : 2.2 and above
- Lite version requires some unwanted permission like read battery statistics etc
We think lite version is better and faster than the big one.
Click here to download from Google play store