UPDATES about BigScoots hosting 2021-22:
We faced more than 1 day of downtime and their promise of 99.99% uptime was broken for the year 2022. We received a free month credit for our current hosting plan. But that we lost some business on the same day as most of our clients was asking why is it not loading! But we continue to use this provider as it was one of an incident and these kind of problems also happen with other service providers too.
Below is the scoop from the letter
Shortly after 6PM CST, an intermittent issue started affecting a small group of websites on our network. As we worked to diagnose the issue, we found that one of our network providers was delivering traffic to this particular block of sites incorrectly. The result was that for these sites, when accessed from certain US locations using this specific network provider (we have five), it resulted in a local outage. The servers and sites affected were up and running without any data loss, but accessing them from certain regions was a problem.
While the issue was isolated for some time, it was still impacting approximately 5% of customers, and we were additionally concerned that the issue might spread.
We decided to make an urgent network device adjustment at 10:30PM CST, with the intention of fixing the conflicting traffic before things got worse. We tested the adjustment on one of our redundant devices prior to rolling it out live; this test indicated it would have at most a few seconds of maximum impact. As such, we felt confident at the time that it was important to fix this issue as soon as possible.
During the live adjustment, however, a device error triggered, resulting in what unfortunately became a ~2.5 hour outage of our entire network. Our network engineers then worked as quickly as possible to bring the affected devices back up. Regrettably, the error when we pushed the adjustment live caused more problems than it fixed – and ultimately we should have waited for the resolution from the network provider themselves.
We know how frustrating outages are, even more so in this case as it followed a very significant network upgrade that we were all so excited about. The network upgrade addressed all of the device resource issues that we had seen over the past few months. The initial issue yesterday evening was separate, stemming from a network provider. Rather than waiting for them to sort it out, we took the process into our own hands and very regrettably, due to a device error, this resulted in an extended outage.
I would like to apologize again for the issues last night. I realize our apology might not mean much with the rocky road these past couple months – and I also know it takes a lot to stay loyal to a host who has failed to deliver on some of the promises they set out to – but I would like to do my best to reassure you that we have already taken significant steps to create a network foundation that will no longer be prone to these types of issues, and we’ll never stop doing what we need to in order to hit the industry-leading service levels we aim for.
When it comes to everything else we do here, our management, performance, optimizations, proactive monitoring, customer service, collaborations and the general care and concern we have towards your sites has never wavered. I realize these don’t mean much when a site is otherwise down, but you can be absolutely certain we know where our shortcomings are, and are working extraordinarily hard (and have been) to get our network back to where we need it to be for you.
Once again, we’re very sorry for all the issues as of late, I know it’s frustrating and please believe me when I say we feel it too. We’re continuing to do absolutely everything we can and we know we’re inches away from the finish line now with a few small (non-impacting) adjustments to be made.
If there is anything at all we can do to help, please ever hesitate to reach out to me personally, or any member of our support team.
BigScoots – CEO
Pros and cons
- BigScoots Shared Web Hosting For WordPress Review
- 99.99% uptime
- Extremely good and knowledgeable support including setting up and fixing CloudFlare issues of your website
- LiteSpeed with SSD
- More entry process and CPU for the price you pay
- More than 1 day of downtime in 2022
- Free credit was only given to us after we raised a support ticket
- They save all the hosted data in one single location, no offsite backup
UPDATES about BigScoots hosting 2020:
- Firstly about their uptime : Though they say its 99.99% we have some hiccups by the time their support replies to our email, our site is back up and this happened in some months and it went above 10 minutes in some months!
- They asked us to do some SSH stuffs and we were clueless on this but after some emails they did from their side and problem was caused by CloudFlare railgun!
- When we upgraded our plans we didn’t see increase in our SSD disk space, but it was quickly solved by, Justin(Support guy there)
- We were priced extra for dedicated ip but our plan offered it free and Scott (the president, see the video below) fixed it when notified by our team
- They now have come up with managed WordPress hosting starting at $34.95/MO with NGINX servers in all plans.
- Next one : We got a subdomain pointing to another website and that this in terms of Googles eyes is a duplicate content and would raise a RED flag. But after 2 days that issue was fixed and we are quoting their reply here
The issue here was the MX record was pointing to domain.com which was protected by cloudflare, this causes an obfuscted DNS record by cloudflare. I have made an A record for your mail and moved your MX record to mail.techwibe.
- Like others they offer 24*7 support for name sake only, if you get into really serious problems like ours, they need some days to solve the issue (they are also humans and humans need some time to see what is causing the issue) and unlike other hosting providers they fix the problem without charging you anything.
- Also the pics in this article looks updated as they revamped their website but there are no changes with their pricing.
- Frequent downtime
- Hidden quota limits in terms of CPU usage
- More support response time
- Low knowledge support staff
- Old hardware offering less speed
- No support for WordPress, most used one for blogging as well as for websites
Then you are at right place as we have found a good and reliable web hosting provider called BigScoots after two years of switching from and to several ones.
Hope you guys all know how hard to find the errors when the WP website breaks!
Just submitted another support request and within an hour they just found out that a WP plugin was causing the issue and they turned off that plugin. Everything came back to normal 🙂 .
Let’s talk about their support first
After switching to them the first support query from us was about a weird error that always show up when we try to approve the comment. Like every other time we just shooted a support ticket in the middle of day according to our country time and we were happy to see the responses within 5 minutes telling us the reason that was causing such an error and also added it will be solved within few days, oops!
We asked why?
You know Google made clear that https is now one of the ranking signal, so we switched one of our WordPress blog to SSL/HTTPS
After installing SSL certificate we had trouble in getting green pad lock in address bar of our web browser, it was always saying that ” public audit error”. We were just clueless on what’s the reason for it!
With a screenshot explaining the problem, we just shooted a mail to Justin ( support engineer). And he just solved the problem within 10 minutes.
Next problem was more related to the WordPress theme
Some weird code was always showing in that theme, before we submit problem to theme developers just submitted another ticket regarding the problem to Justin and it was solved within 7 minutes by him, so we have a feeling that we are with a managed WordPress hosting!
Final thought about support
We have never any shared hosting provider giving solution to all our problems and that too including WordPress errors
- Rating 8.0/10
You can also our experience with one of WordPress managed hosting provider named WP Hosting Spot who offers free Maxcdn with every plan
This the place we got annoyed at first as their firewall initially blocked all uptime monitoring services like Pingdom, uptime robot etc. Uptime went to 95%. Which is damn low!
Asked the support to whitelist the above services and they did. Here is our recent screenshot from Pingdom
Looks like they are having 100% uptime even though they officially say it’s 99.99%
Note : There is a big difference between 99.99% and 99.9%
- 99.99% (approx 5 minutes of downtime per month)
- 99.9%(approx 45 minutes of downtime per month)
- 99.99% pretty costly
- 99.9% you can get it even from a free hosting provider
Here is the their server uptime of all their available ones
Final thought for uptime
- Seems to offer best in the industry
So what are their limits ?
CPU time limits, what Justin have to say
We do not limit CPU time, each account is limited to a certain amount of CPU. If we feel someone is abusing CPU then we will take actually manually but its extremely rare this happens.
Which means you can get 100% of a CPU core which equates to about 3.7GHz per account.
Speed and server specs
Since we were always with lite speed (server type that can handle more traffic) providers we didn’t see much change in speed after switching to bigscoots.
- E3-1271v3 – 4.1GHz
- 32GB 2133MHz RAM
- 4 x 1TB 855 Samsung Datacenter Drives configured in a hardware RAID10 with a LSI-9271-4i supporting the RAID
- Additionally cachevault which is hardware RAID cache on the controller
Network : steadfast
- Latest cpanel
- SSH access
- Unlimited mailbox
- Free website migration
- Daily and weekly backup
- They have been in business for the past 5 years with not even a single negative review
Even though they are offering 99.99% uptime in all their plans with SSD disk powered by LiteSpeed web servers shared plans are still economical
They also offer dedicated ones
Mode of payment
- All standard methods like visa, Mastercard, PayPal etc
Like all other companies they do offer affiliates with which you can earn money by selling their service by writing a review or by recommending to friends
- They save their entire user data including user website file in a single location and this is SUPER BAD. We say like this because when there is flooding, earthquake or any other problems in the building area where their servers are located it will be affected badly and users of BigScoots may loose all their data without any option to recover it.
- They do say that they 100% positively reviewed for the past 5 years but here is something that we found
- Their website is not at all responsive and its hard to navigate while visiting from mobile
- Reseller plans are pretty costly
- Some time you have to wait more than 1 hour to get response from them if you are not from USA
- No Bitcoin mode payment
Exclusive offer all
We are now offering an exclusive off of $5 on your first invoice by bigscoots promo code 8DHQ9NDW1VW5
BigScoots Review After 4 Years By Jake
Our developer, Jake writes about in-depth Bigscoots WordPress hosting experience after using their service for more than 4 years.
Price Currency: $
Operating System: Linux
Application Category: WordPress Hosting